Monday, January 26, 2009

Now I know my ABC's!


I've had a pretty good last few days. First of all, I finally finished the ABC blanket that I've been working on. It took a long time, since it required embroidery and a great deal of finishing. Neither of which are high on my list of favorite things to do. One thing that did make the blanket rather fun was that Baby Girl has been learning her letters and as I got each block done she would look at me and tell me what the letter was and what it's phonetic sound was. She's only two and knows all of them. She can't sing the alphabet song yet, but really, which is more important?

Almost immediately after finishing that afghan, I got started on my entry for this contest that the Lion Brand yarn company is sponsoring for their Vanna's Choice yarn line. The grand prize is $1000 and a trip to Hollywood to meet Ms. Vanna White herself. I'm doing an Aran-style baby blanket with the Vanna's Baby yarn. It's a worsted weight acrylic yarn, but is a bit softer than say a Red Heart yarn. I'm loving the blanket so far (I'm about halfway done), but given a choice, I would probably prefer to use a sport-weight yarn for this project. I'm doing it in a crochet for expediency sake. I know some of you out there are shaking your heads at the fact that I'm using an acrylic yarn, but I tend to do that with crochet. It takes up a lot more yarn than knitting does, so it could get really expensive to make blankets with the really great yarns that I have grown to adore with my knitting.
On a bit of a bummer note, I had my weekly weigh-in at the gym this week and I have lost not a single pound in the past 10 days! Boo! I was a bit naughty this past week, but I was hoping that I would at least have dropped one pound. I'm still doing really well with my working out. Three days a week whether I want to or not! I guess I just need to watch what I eat a bit more and I'll get where I need to be...right? God I miss the days when I could out-eat the offensive linemen at Tulane and still not gain a pound!

No comments: