Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Have I mentioned that I'm a military kid?

I know many of you out there are very opposed to how our former president used the military and the wars we are currently engaged in. I hope you can separate your feeling for President Bush from those you may have for the military and recognize how important a strong military has been for the successful evolution of our country and the freedoms we enjoy because of the sacrifices made by those who choose to serve. So, when I saw this license plate cover today, it made me smile.

I grew up next to one of the largest air force bases in the country. I grew very accustomed to the sounds of the fighter wing out training and bombs dropping out on the reservation. Sonic booms rattled our windows on a pretty regular basis. We always knew when something was up in the world because the air traffic increased. I loved living near the base. On weekends I would drive out to the flight line and watch the planes take off and land. Anyhow, my point is, I miss the sound of jet engines and the knowledge that our pilots and all of our military personnel were working hard to keep us safe and free.

Have a good day and if you get the chance, say thank you to an airman, soldier, sailor or marine. They deserve it.



No comments: