Monday, December 29, 2008

New Years Resolution

Okay, so I realize that the new year has not officially begun, but I am not feeling very good about myself lately, so I've already started my New Years resolution which is to get in better shape, eat better and lose some weight! I don't look that bad, really. I'm a tiny bit over six feet tall and as of this morning I weight 164 pounds. I am a size ten in my jeans and a little smaller up top (Dammit!) So, really not so terrible. But, when I got married three years ago, I was 137 pounds and a size six. I was not too skinny, I was healthy, and felt really good about myself. (I also was able to eat whatever the hell I wanted, but thanks to Baby Girl's arrival and the onset of age, those days are gone) So, here are the goals:

1 - I am going to work out three days a week.
2 - I am going to try and lose 20 pounds. That won't get me back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but it will get me back where I think my body will be happy.
3 - I am going to do this in five pound increments. Lose five pounds, get a prize. And no, the prize cannot be food-based. For the first five pounds I have selected this. Aren't they the most beautiful needles you've seen! I got the set of inter-changable circular needles for Christmas (Thanks, Mom!) and although I don't really "need" new needles, these are so pretty I just must have them, so there you go. When I'm down to 159 pounds, according to the gym scale, I get these.

So, Saturday I cleaned out the fridge and got really good foods from the grocery store. This does mean I will be cooking a whole lot more from scratch and not the prepared foods I love, but I can handle it for the greater good. Also, I made it back to the gym today and felt really good. I only managed to do 40 minutes of cardio (I usually do an hour), but I'll get there soon!

Oh, here's the pasta dish I made last night for dinner, which was yummy and pretty darn healthy too:

1 pound chicken breast tenders - cut into bite-sized pieces
2 Tbl. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup lite Italian dressing
1 Green pepper - cut into small peices, but not really diced
1 package pre-cleaned and sliced mushrooms
1 can diced tomatoes
1 pound whole wheat pasta - cooked according to package directions

Brown the chicken in the olive oil with salt and pepper. Add the salad dressing, green peppers and mushrooms. Cover and simmer for about five minutes so the veggies start to soften. Add the can of tomatoes, don't drain them, you need the liquid to help create your sauce. Simmer this all together for around 10 minutes so the flavors can get all good and developed. Add the pasta, toss and serve. If I can find really good fresh basil, you can garish with that, it adds a really nice fresh flavor, but I didn't have any yesterday and it was still delicious! We sometimes serve leftovers cold, like a pasta salad, but it re-heats well, too.
I know I need to update you guys on my trip to Tahoe for Christmas, I'll try and get the pictures downloaded later today. For now I will leave you with: It was Awesome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are indeed the most beautiful needles I have ever seen. :)

However, um, 160 is my goal weight. And I am shorter than you. Then again, I am starting from way heavier than you, too, so perhaps mine is most realistic for me.

Ooh, you should get a Wii fit! It will help.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your goals!